Strategic Management for Microfinance Executives
London England, United Kingdom
2-6 December 2019
During the course we first define what is strategy (it's harder than you think), then emphasize the strategic importance of the vision statement, mission statement, and values statement. Strengths and weaknesses are analyzed with a capacity assessment tool which I have applied in dozens of MFIs over the past 15 years. Opportunities and threats are likewise analyzed by reviewing industry trends, important literature on competition, and a risk assessment tool which is customized for the Microfinance Industry.
Strengths and Weaknesses are then analyzed with a capacity assessment tool which I have applied in dozens of MFIs over the past 15 years, and Opportunities and Threats are likewise analyzed by reviewing industry trends, important literature on competition, and a risk assessment tool which has been customized for the Microfinance Industry.
We develop quality SMART goals and objectives, which flows into measuring progress against those goals through industry standard ratios. An important strategic management tool, The Balance Scorecard, is introduced which combines all elements of strategy, goals and objectives, and a work plan into one measurement tool to improve results. A real life MFI application of the Balanced Scorecard is presented and we arrive at quality measurement indicators which fit within an MFIs BSC framework. The need for budgeting is presented with a very brief overview of Microfin, based on delegates' interest. Any strategic management training fails to fully prepare delegates for successful implementation if ideas and concepts of change management are not discussed, which is the culminating discussion of the course.
Delegates have reacted very favorably to the training as follows:
- The program is simply fantastic and skill acquisition oriented
- I enjoyed Ratio analysis and its practical relevance
- I enjoyed the mission and vision statement respectively and the "SWOT”
- Very excited to have participated and shared and learnt from others. Great content and good logistics and facilitation. I fully recommend this program to all who want to climb the ladder of leadership at a strategic level
- I highly recommend this training to all CEOs or top management working in microfinance institutions all over the world. I was fortunate to have received it.
- I enjoyed all parts of the training, but I liked the discussions around the table and Howard’s stories from all around the globe were very enriching and interesting.
- Excellent Facilitator
- The training is good, especially with its experience and examples coming from MFI perspective, unlike some trainings that uses mainstream banking.
- Exceeded my expectation. The human relations of Howard is the tipping point. I will give it 11 (out of 10).
- I enjoyed implementing strategic management and "Balanced Scorecard”
- I rate this course much higher than other week-long, microfinance focused, strategic management courses I have participated in.
Please use this form to register for the course